![]() |
| Sundance being readied for launching at Pin Mill |
Having previously had cabined boats, and purposefully moved back to an open boat with Daisy IV, why now buy another boat with a cabin?
Firstly, Sundance is to be a second boat alongside Daisy IV which is very much still being enjoyed and for which there are many exciting plans going forward. Having now moved to the coast, a cabined boat will facilitate more family fun and also more comfortable involvement in cruises in company with other boats.
I didn’t want a return to previously owned models which ruled out, in particular, another coaster. The two boats that made the shortlist were the two types of Drascombe Drifter available. Both feature an open cabin without the restrictions of a centreboard casing. I looked seriously at and, ultimately, rejected the newer version of Drifter, called the 'Drifter 22'. It was more expensive, I didn’t enjoy its looks as much as the original Drifter, and there were aspects of the build that didn’t seem right, such as the rudder/tiller arrangement which feels clumsy.
The original Drifter dates from between 1977 and 1984, with around 110 models being built. Some of these had an inboard diesel but most, like Sundance, use an outboard. All have a striking central keel, and two fixed bilge keels. Hence the boat draws 0.6m, which is slightly more than most Drascombes. It’s also a much heavier boat - getting on for a tonne, and over double the mass of a Drascombe coaster. So, this is as close to a cruising yacht as I ever plan to go.
Good looks are important in any boat I own and the original Drifter possesses the lines that epitomise Drascombes of the John Watkinson era. I have always particularly admired her beaminess, and the cabin is probably better integrated in the build than any of the other cabined Drascombes.
Sundance will spend her days during the season on a mooring at Pin Mill. Daisy IV, which had previously occupied that mooring, will now live ashore and will be a true trailer sailer. Whilst Sundance can be trailed, and I have vehicles which can manage that legally, her size and weight make that much more challenging so, unless I ever end up with a serious 4x4, I currently doubt whether she’ll be taken elsewhere by road - although it would be churlish to rule that out entirely!
Lastly, having renamed all of my previous boats, Sundance comes with considerable history. I know of at least three previous owners who are well known Drascombers. She has mostly lived on the South coast but is also well-travelled, particularly having been towed to many other places such as Le Golfe du Morbihan and the Netherlands. So, somehow, after 49 years as Sundance, it seems wrong to change her identity now. However, it will be hugely enjoyable introducing her to many new (to her) locations along the east coast.
![]() |
| Sundance on her mooring at Pin Mill |


No comments:
Post a Comment